Since Elijah’s Promise was established in 1989 as a simple soup kitchen in New Brunswick, New Jersey, we have expanded our programs and services guided by the idea that Food Changes Lives! Food is a common thread among us all as well in many issues we face. Everyday we harness its power to reach our community and help individuals in need wherever they are.
For almost 30 years, we have been expanding our role in Central New Jersey with life-changing programs and services including:
- Serving over 350,000 free, nutritious meals a year at our Community Soup Kitchen;
- Providing life-changing job training through our Promise Culinary School to some 50 students annually who are in need of marketable job skills;
- Operating Promise Catering as a social enterprise that provides nutritious meals to local, low-wealth seniors, area daycares, and food-insecure individuals;
- Conducting Let’s Cook! classes that teach healthy recipes to local adults and children;
- Operating Promise Garden, an urban community garden site offering 50-raised beds, Promise Compost, beehives, community events, and other urban agriculture programming benefiting both local residents and food-insecure individuals by increasing access to healthy food;
- Providing medical services to uninsured individuals through Promise Clinic, in partnership with the Rutgers Medical School, to offer free primary care and social services to uninsured clients of Elijah’s Promise;
- Operating a Social Service team that traverses Middlesex County to bring food, clothing and hygiene products to homeless individuals; and
- Providing one-on-one interaction with Community Soup Kitchen clients to guide those in need of additional state and federal assistance programs to the correct services as well as counseling on next steps to achieve long-term health and success.